This is a story about three very different types of clubs. All in three different parts of the county, but they have a few things in common. They were all struggling in membership sales production as a result of a poor sales process and poor sales fundamentals.
In 30 days each club had doubled their membership sales production plus they doubled their contact value (by selling a 24 month agreement instead of a 12 month agreement.) Of course, this kind of success sets the stages for others successes to come.
Here’s how they did it.
- They gained immediate control over the non member traffic coming into their club and now required each guest to register in.
- Each guest is now completing a Needs Analysis to help determine goals and what they want to accomplish.
- The membership rep is now giving a tour based on the Super Objective (emotional reason the guest wants to accomplish their goals).
- The membership rep is now sitting down with each guest and giving a membership price presentation based on benefits with a strong reason to buy today (that is not price related).
- All sales staff is learning how to be agreeable. For example, if the guest says “that’s a lot of money or that’s a long commitment,” the sales rep now says, “yes, I agree, that is a lot of money, a lot of our members say that, but you should see the smile on their face when they lose that 20 pounds and have that waist line down.” This works much better than simply defending your position.
- The sales staff is now selling desired outcomes (Super Objective) instead of giving a tour the only points out the features and equipment in the club.
- With decent boldness, the sales staff is now asking for the sale. They have learned that if you don’t ask, the answer is always no.
There is still more work to be done, but each club is well on their way to success.
Now, go double your sales!
Jim Thomas is the founder and president of Fitness Management USA Inc., a management consulting and turnaround firm specializing in the fitness and health club industry. With more than 25 years of experience owning, operating and managing clubs of all sizes, Thomas lectures and delivers seminars and workshops across the country on the practical skills required to successfully build teamwork and market fitness programs and products. Visit his Web site at: www.fmconsulting.net.